Monday, June 10, 2013

Currently Rocking My World:


Organic Virgin Coconut Oil

This stuff is bomb dot com. So originally I picked this up from Trader Joes to remove my eye makeup. Obviously I wear a fair amount of makeup for my job, but lately my eyes have been burning and stinging from the makeup remover wipes I usually use to remove my eye makeup. Coconut oil has changed my life!!! Here is some information straight from Trader Joe's

This stuff is a heavy duty remover, even for waterproof! If you do/do not know, oil based products are pretty much necessary to remove waterproof makeup. However, the coconut oil feels so much nicer on my skin! It doesn't leave such a disgusting oily residue and actually hydrates my skin & eye area. Plus it's cheap!! This whole bottle is only $5.99

How it works:

Coconut oil is SOLID at room temperature. Looks like this (below) when you scoop it out

This is enough for your whole face!


















 To warm it up, rub between fingers or hands. It will start to look like this:













Then apply to skin to break down makeup! Here I put the coconut oil over green and black waterproof eyeliners (I realize the color combo isn't the prettiest haha) You will get this kind of stuff spread over your eye area if you wear dark makeup, I like to keep massaging into my skin until my lashes are completely free of mascara then remove the remaining oil with half a makeup wipe or a damp towel.



I also usually use my cleanser right after this, but for dry skin you can leave the coconut oil residue on your skin as a moisturizer too!


So, it's the best makeup remover I've ever used, BUT at work I was talking about how much I loved this stuff and a couple coworkers explained a few other uses:

1. Shaving your legs!!!

The first time I used the coconut oil in the shower my world was turned upside down. It sits on your skin amazingly and repels the water so it doesnt wash off immediately like soap or shower gel. This was the closest shave I've had my entire life and left me completely free of razor burn too! The first time I washed the oil off with soap after, but I've been leaving more of the oil because it leaves my skin ultra-soft and silky! Coconut oil is a dream come true for shaving. Plus it smells like a tropical island.

2. Hair Mask

You can mix coconut oil with olive oil, argan oil, lavender, peppermint, or use it on its own for a hair treatment that will give you moisture, silkiness, shine, and friz control. Heat the oil (or mixture) in the microwave just enough for the coconut oil to melt and apply from roots to tips. Let soak for 20 minutes then shampoo twice to completely remove the oil. Here is a good step by step hair mask DIY

3. Cooking

Obviously the coconut oil is awesome for cooking -- that is what it's primarily marketed for. It is composed of unique fatty acids that possibly has more heart-friendly benefits than other cooking oils. A benefit of the coconut oil is the flavor it imparts on the dishes -- I love this in cookies, you get just a hint of coconut flavor, it adds a lot of depth. Also because coconut oil is solid at room temp, it can withstand very high temperatures. If you want to read a little bit more in depth info about coconut oil + cooking + health, check out this WebMD link.

To be continued:

These are the main uses and ones I am most familiar with. There's obviously a lot more you can do with this little jar of Coconut Oil. I've also been using it as a body lotion and lip balm which has been very successful as well haha. I am so glad I discovered it! Go to Trader Joe's now and pick up your own jar!